Patient Self-Service: PatientWay’s Story
PatientWay is a leading provider of patient self-service technology and process improvement services. This is the PatientWay story … so far.
The PatientWay team is passionate about two things: healthcare and technology. These passions drive our mission to increase patient satisfaction and bring measurable efficiencies to the healthcare system.
PatientWay’s parent company has worked with 1,800 healthcare organizations in Ontario since 2004. We developed and continue to maintain the Ontario government’s most innovative and reliable accountability reporting systems. Our operational expertise combined with the insight that we gained into hospital processes and information systems led to the creation of PatientWay in 2009.
With that expertise, we embraced several core ideas when we launched PatientWay in 2009:
- Patients are the most under-utilized resource in healthcare. Giving patients the same tools they expect from other service providers (like pharmacies, banks, airlines, etc.) gives them a more empowered role in the delivery of their healthcare. We also knew that with patient self-service, hospitals quickly realize time and cost savings and increased staff and patient satisfaction ~ just like the pharmacies, banks and airlines.
- Every organization is unique. Our applications are carefully engineered to be easy to install, integrate, operate and maintain. Extensively flexible, PatientWay’s software adapts to each hospital’s distinct way of operating ~ and each hospital’s distinct information system.
- Flexibility and integrations are essential. Our ability to design intuitive, user-friendly, self-service web, kiosk, and mobile apps that we can integrate with the systems that healthcare organizations use, like McKesson, Oasis, Cerner, etc., combined with our ability to deliver software, hardware and process improvement consulting services differentiates us in an established market.
- Always be market-driven. Hospitals and other healthcare providers in North America are faced with increasing patient volumes, increasing patient expectations and shrinking budgets. Managing more patients and improving patient satisfaction levels with less money is driving hospitals to find ways to adapt to our economic reality.
We’ve learned a few things since 2009. Early success with several hospitals and healthcare providers tells us that the PatientWay team is on the right path. We are grateful to the early-adopters who knew what we knew but couldn’t prove in 2009. Contributing to success stories like Southlake Regional Health Centre’s is exciting and their success makes our business-case for streamlining patient access systems with self-service technology. These are the results Southlake saw after a year of operating PatientWay Pre-Registration and Check-In Kiosks:
- 30% reduction in staff in patient registration (staff hours reassigned within the hospital)
- 50% reduction in registration data errors
- 60% reduction in time to see a registration clerk
- Substantial reduction in the time to check-in to the hospital
- 72% uptake by patients
- $400K in annual operational savings
What’s next for the PatientWay team? We’re on schedule to implement test sites for the next two modules in the PatientWay Suite. The PatientWay Suite is our integrated bundle of applications that streamlines the flow of information about patients from their primary care physician through to the clinical area of a hospital. It manages referrals, provides online scheduling and pre-registration, as well as reminders and check-in kiosks.
We’re living our mission to improve healthcare with technology and loving it. That’s the PatientWay story, so far.